Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 9: Crazy Start to a Great Day

What a morning we had today!

First, after little or no sleep (I awoke at 2:00am, after falling asleep at 11:00pm - for the third time this week!) our day began with phone troubles. I didn't want to be one of those families that ran out of minutes on their loaner cell phone, but unfortunately, it happened. When the time came to call our facilitator to call us a taxi, we realized the phone they issued us was dead. We had just charged it, so it must be out of minutes. Brian's iPhone for some reason isn't working either.

Think! Plan B... we will walk to the grocery store and buy a new SIM card. We started with what appeared to be the manager... no English. We had the phone out to show him, and nothing. I tried a cashier, still nothing. Great, none of the employees speak English. Finally, they pointed to a little phone shop inside the market. Yes! We bought two cards so we would have a backup. Put the card in and... nothing. Ahhh! The battery is dead and I am so not amused. I am missing my appointment with my little girl!

Then, we saw two taxis in the parking lot and decided to risk it. We had the address to the baby home written down, so we showed it to the driver. We headed off, and then I realized we would be stuck at the baby home without a working phone to call for a ride home. I told Brian to point to the apartment address so we could stop by and pick up the phone charger. We didn't know if there would be a place to plug it in, but we were desperate! We seriously confused the poor taxi driver. He eventually pulled over to the side of the road and I said "one" in what I was hoping was his language with Brian pointing to the apartment address, and then I said "two" with Brian pointing to the baby home address. We had to do this a couple of times, but finally got the idea we needed two stops. I left Brian in the taxi with him so he wouldn't drive off while I ran upstairs, and when I got back to the taxi they were both laughing. I'm assuming they both were thinking crazy wife forgets something again! Brian told me that the driver was talking to him non-stop while I was gone. We can only imagine what he was talking about, as we didn't understand a word he is saying.

We finally arrived at the baby house a half-hour into our visiting time. Being the weekend, there were different workers at the baby house, and none spoke English. It makes me really appreciate that wonderful caretaker that we had yesterday and can't wait to see her again on Monday.

Due to popular demand, here is the first picture of all three of us. Not bad for a self-portrait.

Aly was playing her music, so I picked her up and we danced. She loved it! For the record, she loved the Little Einstein Takealong Tunes! Ryan, who is in the same groupa, told me he wants one too!

Aly reading while listening to her music, just like seestra Kelsey! As soon as the song ended, she was pressing the button to get it started up again.

Here is a video of Aly reading with her music!

Aly really does enjoy books!

When we returned for our afternoon visit, somebody got a makeover! She was so proud! How could she not be, she's beautiful!

We gushed all over her just like good parents do and she just loved it!

We decided to break out the paper and crayons today and she loved it! In the video she is telling me all about her creation.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!


Voice Of Truth said...

She is absolutely gorgeous and so happy to be with her Mommy and Daddy!!! We will make sure to bring a Little Einstein's Take Along Tunes for Ryan when we come!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!! God Bless!!!!!!!!!!

Hansina said...

Love the bows in her hair! She is so cute! The picture of all three of you is wonderful, too!